Saturday, September 21, 2013


I really like the point quoting Russel Nye regarding popular entertainment as “seeking 'less to provide a new experience than to validate an older one'”. It is a succinct way of saying what I have always known. Popular culture may not be groundbreaking in terms of artistic revolution or high moral development or even higher education, but that does not necessarily mean it is a bad thing. The fact of the matter is that popular culture is given its name because it applies to the average person, and the average person is not particularly concerned with any of those things. My conception of popular culture has not been altered significantly in the past few weeks, but I do feel as though I have a better understanding of how to define popular culture and how it came to be in the first place. I had never considered that popular culture in the sense that we think of it today is relatively new.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, popular culture is so diverse that it applies to everyone. When I first started learning about pop culture, I didn’t really care or think that it was too important. When I think of popular culture, I am reminded of the phrase “keeping up with the Jones’”. Some people have the desire to have everything brand new. With that in mind, people have big heads and are portrayed as having a “richer environment.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as well. Russel Nye had a great point, and this reminds me of the phrase "history repeats itself". I really do think we tend to go in a cycle, and repeats past fashions, and other ideas. On the other hand, I feel like even though we can repeat the past often, Popular culture can be "groundbreaking" Think of some of your favorite musical artists and how their albums have changed through out the years. Sure, most bands tend to keep the same sound and stay "true" to themselves, but at the same time if all of their music sounded the exact same, wouldn't we get bored with it? Just how a musicians sound/music changes, so does pop culture. It's pretty cool the ways in which it can redefine itself, or repeat a trend from the past.
    I really like what you said about popular culture applying to the average person.

    ReplyDelete